A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Word » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Paragraph Formats for numbered lists

Old June 13th, 2016, 07:13 PM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Jun 2016
Default Paragraph Formats for numbered lists

I'm pretty much convinced that numbered lists in Word are some sort of metaphorical zen exercise demonstrating that we never fully control our fate or some such nonsense.

I'm working on a layout for documentation. Heading 1, Heading 2, yada yada. All of the paragraph and character styles are behaving.

Except for the numbered list. Shocking, right?

The numbering part is working. It's the paragraph format that is making me nuts. The default for numbered lists is left indent of .13", handing indent of ."25. And if I use that, everything works just fine.

But if I change it--if I change it to indent of 0 with a hanging indent of .25", so that the numbered list lines up with the body of the text, or if change the indent to .25", then every time I reset the numbering in a document, the paragraph that I reset reverts back to the indent of .13"

If I have a document with several such lists, and I set the indent up the way I want it and then go up to the ribbon, right-click on the number style, and select "Update Stye to match selection", then every paragraph updates properly--with the exception of every paragraph that starts a new list beyond the first such paragraph. To clarify: The first numbered paragraph in the doc is fine. And if I just keep hitting enter, all of the subsequent numbered paragraph are set correctly. But if I go to one of the other paragraphs, right-click, and select, restart numbering, the number restarts, but the indent goes back to the default. You know how when you select a paragraph the style bar highlights the appropriate style? The numbered list style is highlighted for both correct and incorrectly indented paragraphs.

I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong-at this point, it's something either ridiculously obviously or Illuminati-level arcane. In any event, I'd just like to be able to format the frigging numbered lists the way I want them.

Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,