A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Outlook » Installation & Setup
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Outlook Password wont save .. for send, or receive.



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #11  
Old November 20th, 2008, 03:29 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Psyjohn
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1
Default Outlook Password wont save .. for send, or receive.

After relentlessly searching for solutions to this aggravating problem, I was
happy to find a true fix. Although not a newbie, I always seem to create
inadvertant problems when I edit the registry for some reason or
another...even when I export and save the entire existing registry and then
re-install it when those mysterious other problems turn up.

My question concerning
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\UserShell Folders\AppData" is two-fold:

1) Would I be safe to export that specifically registry entry from my other
computer (also, Windows XP) that runs correctly without this particular
problem?

2) Or, do I need to create all the parameters listed that are correct?

My "working" computer without the nagging request for "save password" has a
number of other entries missing besides the "%userprofile%\Application Data."

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

--
John


"Site-Designer" wrote:

THANK GOD I found this post! I have been thru this same runaround for weeks
and this solution worked for me as well. (XP + Outlook 2007).

"NickR2" wrote:

Yeah, me too! Perhaps we should add that to our list of things to check, cuz,
apparently something makes it dissappear.
Nick

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

"NickR2" wrote in message
...

Here was the Resolution/Recommendations: -
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders\AppData". AppData is of type REG_EXPAND_SZ and should
contain
the value: "%userprofile%\Application Data" - when password prompt in
outlook

That makes a lot of sense, since Outlook expects to store send/receive data
in that folder. What puzzles me is why that reg key wasn't there.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]


Ads
  #12  
Old November 20th, 2008, 04:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,888
Default Outlook Password wont save .. for send, or receive.

"Psyjohn" wrote in message
...

After relentlessly searching for solutions to this aggravating problem, I
was
happy to find a true fix. Although not a newbie, I always seem to create
inadvertant problems when I edit the registry for some reason or
another...even when I export and save the entire existing registry and
then
re-install it when those mysterious other problems turn up.

My question concerning
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\UserShell
Folders\AppData" is two-fold:

1) Would I be safe to export that specifically registry entry from my
other
computer (also, Windows XP) that runs correctly without this particular
problem?


It should be safe, but you have to make sure the value is appropriate for
your particular PC. If you want AppData to point to the default location,
it will take you less type to simply enter the correct value that it would
be to export from another PC, transport the reg file, then import on the
second PC.

2) Or, do I need to create all the parameters listed that are correct?

My "working" computer without the nagging request for "save password" has
a
number of other entries missing besides the "%userprofile%\Application
Data."


What entries are missing? Often (but I don't know for sure for this
particular set of keys) Windows assumes a particular value when a key
doesn't exist. I haven't looked a many PCs specifically for this key, but
those which I have examined seem to have the same complement of keys under
the UserShell Folders container.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

  #13  
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
AlesiaP
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Outlook Password wont save .. for send, or receive.



"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

"Psyjohn" wrote in message
...

After relentlessly searching for solutions to this aggravating problem, I
was
happy to find a true fix. Although not a newbie, I always seem to create
inadvertant problems when I edit the registry for some reason or
another...even when I export and save the entire existing registry and
then
re-install it when those mysterious other problems turn up.

My question concerning
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\UserShell
Folders\AppData" is two-fold:

1) Would I be safe to export that specifically registry entry from my
other
computer (also, Windows XP) that runs correctly without this particular
problem?


It should be safe, but you have to make sure the value is appropriate for
your particular PC. If you want AppData to point to the default location,
it will take you less type to simply enter the correct value that it would
be to export from another PC, transport the reg file, then import on the
second PC.

2) Or, do I need to create all the parameters listed that are correct?

My "working" computer without the nagging request for "save password" has
a
number of other entries missing besides the "%userprofile%\Application
Data."


What entries are missing? Often (but I don't know for sure for this
particular set of keys) Windows assumes a particular value when a key
doesn't exist. I haven't looked a many PCs specifically for this key, but
those which I have examined seem to have the same complement of keys under
the UserShell Folders container.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]


  #14  
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:28 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
AlesiaP
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2
Default Outlook Password wont save .. for send, or receive.

I am really hoping someone out there can help me figure out why MS Outlook
2007 consistenly prompts me for my password even though it is saved in my
account settings. I have tried every registry change that I have found
through my research and even added the AppData key. I have removed the
e-mail account and added back, but I am still prompted for my password every
time I try to Send/Receive mail. I am using Windows XP and MS Outlook 2007.
I did not start having this problem until I upgraded from MS Outlook 2003 to
MS Outlook 2007. I also don't have the problem with Outlook Express which is
on the same computer. Please help because this is extremely frustrating.
There has to be some solution to this that has not yet been identified.

Thanks!

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

"Psyjohn" wrote in message
...

After relentlessly searching for solutions to this aggravating problem, I
was
happy to find a true fix. Although not a newbie, I always seem to create
inadvertant problems when I edit the registry for some reason or
another...even when I export and save the entire existing registry and
then
re-install it when those mysterious other problems turn up.

My question concerning
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\UserShell
Folders\AppData" is two-fold:

1) Would I be safe to export that specifically registry entry from my
other
computer (also, Windows XP) that runs correctly without this particular
problem?


It should be safe, but you have to make sure the value is appropriate for
your particular PC. If you want AppData to point to the default location,
it will take you less type to simply enter the correct value that it would
be to export from another PC, transport the reg file, then import on the
second PC.

2) Or, do I need to create all the parameters listed that are correct?

My "working" computer without the nagging request for "save password" has
a
number of other entries missing besides the "%userprofile%\Application
Data."


What entries are missing? Often (but I don't know for sure for this
particular set of keys) Windows assumes a particular value when a key
doesn't exist. I haven't looked a many PCs specifically for this key, but
those which I have examined seem to have the same complement of keys under
the UserShell Folders container.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]


  #15  
Old December 2nd, 2008, 05:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,888
Default Outlook Password wont save .. for send, or receive.

"AlesiaP" wrote in message
...

I am really hoping someone out there can help me figure out why MS Outlook
2007 consistenly prompts me for my password even though it is saved in my
account settings. I have tried every registry change that I have found
through my research and even added the AppData key. I have removed the
e-mail account and added back, but I am still prompted for my password
every
time I try to Send/Receive mail. I am using Windows XP and MS Outlook
2007.
I did not start having this problem until I upgraded from MS Outlook 2003
to
MS Outlook 2007. I also don't have the problem with Outlook Express which
is
on the same computer. Please help because this is extremely frustrating.
There has to be some solution to this that has not yet been identified.


Did you see this? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

  #16  
Old January 27th, 2009, 06:26 AM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
copluv
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Outlook Password wont save .. for send, or receive.



"NickR2" wrote:


Here was the Resolution/Recommendations: -
"HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders\AppData". AppData is of type REG_EXPAND_SZ and should contain
the value: "%userprofile%\Application Data" - when password prompt in outlook


Hope this helps someone else.

Nick


I have been having the same problems for weeks in my Outlook 2003 and did
all the suggested "fixes" in the microsoft article. Could someone explain to
me in simple terms how to execute this fix above posted? I don't understand
what I am supposed to do after reading this. I feel like I am so close to
fixing the problem!
  #17  
Old January 27th, 2009, 04:43 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,888
Default Outlook Password wont save .. for send, or receive.

"copluv" wrote in message
...

I have been having the same problems for weeks in my Outlook 2003 and did
all the suggested "fixes" in the microsoft article. Could someone explain
to
me in simple terms how to execute this fix above posted? I don't
understand
what I am supposed to do after reading this. I feel like I am so close to
fixing the problem!


Click StartRun. In the Open field enter "regedit" and click OK. In the
left-hand pane, expand "My Computer". Expand "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", then
"Software", then "Microsoft", then "Windows", then "CurrentVersion", then
"Explorer". Click on "User Shell Folders". In the right-hand pane you'll
now see several keys. One of them (it should be the topmost one) should be
"AppData" and it should have the value "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data" on
WIndows XP and "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming" on Windows Vista. If the key
exists, you're finished and this isn't the cause of the problem. If the key
doesn't exist, right-click EditNewExpandable String Value. Name the key
AddData. Now double-click AppData and enter the proper string (no quotes).
Click OK and close regedit. Reboot your PC.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

  #18  
Old January 27th, 2009, 05:34 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
copluv
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Outlook Password wont save .. for send, or receive.

Thank you for your response Brian. In this location of my registry, I have
two keys:

1) Default - "Value Not Set"

and

2) LocalAppData (not AppData). The value on this second key is:
"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data"

So I did as you instructed, and rebooted. The problem is still occuring.
Should I delete the old key?

(I have windows XP)


"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

"copluv" wrote in message
...

I have been having the same problems for weeks in my Outlook 2003 and did
all the suggested "fixes" in the microsoft article. Could someone explain
to
me in simple terms how to execute this fix above posted? I don't
understand
what I am supposed to do after reading this. I feel like I am so close to
fixing the problem!


Click StartRun. In the Open field enter "regedit" and click OK. In the
left-hand pane, expand "My Computer". Expand "HKEY_CURRENT_USER", then
"Software", then "Microsoft", then "Windows", then "CurrentVersion", then
"Explorer". Click on "User Shell Folders". In the right-hand pane you'll
now see several keys. One of them (it should be the topmost one) should be
"AppData" and it should have the value "%USERPROFILE%\Application Data" on
WIndows XP and "%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming" on Windows Vista. If the key
exists, you're finished and this isn't the cause of the problem. If the key
doesn't exist, right-click EditNewExpandable String Value. Name the key
AddData. Now double-click AppData and enter the proper string (no quotes).
Click OK and close regedit. Reboot your PC.
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]


  #19  
Old January 27th, 2009, 08:54 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,888
Default Outlook Password wont save .. for send, or receive.

"copluv" wrote in message
news
Thank you for your response Brian. In this location of my registry, I have
two keys:

1) Default - "Value Not Set"

and

2) LocalAppData (not AppData). The value on this second key is:
"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data"


You should more keys that just the LocalAppData key. You should not delete
any that you see there already.

So I did as you instructed, and rebooted. The problem is still occuring.
Should I delete the old key?


What "old key"? You said the AppData key didn't exist and that you added
it. "Local AppData" is not an "old" key but a completely separate one and
should not be modified (unless it's wrong or you deliberately want it to use
a different folder than the default).

I have the keys AppData, Cache, Cookies, Desktop, Favorites, History, Local
AppData, Local Settings, NetHood, Personal, PrintHood, Programs, SendTo,
Start Menu, Startup, and Templates. These are all folders used by the
typical Windows user profile. I have my "Personal" key redirected to
another disk so that "My Documents" is not on my C drive and I could, if I
wished, change the other ones to follow suit, but I find moving only My
Documents to be satisfactory.

Here's another web site to check:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/pas...remembered.htm
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

  #20  
Old January 27th, 2009, 11:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.outlook.installation
copluv
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 5
Default Outlook Password wont save .. for send, or receive.

Hi Brian. I didn't delete the old key. All of a sudden it started working. I
am beyond thrilled. Thanks for all your help!!!

"Brian Tillman [MVP - Outlook]" wrote:

"copluv" wrote in message
news
Thank you for your response Brian. In this location of my registry, I have
two keys:

1) Default - "Value Not Set"

and

2) LocalAppData (not AppData). The value on this second key is:
"%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Application Data"


You should more keys that just the LocalAppData key. You should not delete
any that you see there already.

So I did as you instructed, and rebooted. The problem is still occuring.
Should I delete the old key?


What "old key"? You said the AppData key didn't exist and that you added
it. "Local AppData" is not an "old" key but a completely separate one and
should not be modified (unless it's wrong or you deliberately want it to use
a different folder than the default).

I have the keys AppData, Cache, Cookies, Desktop, Favorites, History, Local
AppData, Local Settings, NetHood, Personal, PrintHood, Programs, SendTo,
Start Menu, Startup, and Templates. These are all folders used by the
typical Windows user profile. I have my "Personal" key redirected to
another disk so that "My Documents" is not on my C drive and I could, if I
wished, change the other ones to follow suit, but I find moving only My
Documents to be satisfactory.

Here's another web site to check:
http://www.howto-outlook.com/faq/pas...remembered.htm
--
Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 OfficeFrustration.
The comments are property of their posters.