A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Word » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Page Numbers

Old June 23rd, 2004, 10:59 PM
sgurney
external usenet poster

Default Page Numbers

I'm working in Word and understand the concept of sections and page numbers. Unfortunately I don't understand the behaviour of word. In one section of my document (section 7) the page numbers cound up to 21 properly and then the page following page 21 is number 2. As I mentioned, this page number 2 is in section 7. In other words, I have two page 2s in section 7. after the second page 2, the page numbers start counting up again. I have the invisible charaters on so I can see that there are no section breaks additionally, I have clicked the link to previous button on and off to no effect. Any ideas out there? thanks in advance
Steve
Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:18 PM
garfield-n-odie
external usenet poster

Default Page Numbers

Hi, sgurney. In the section 7 footer, try selecting the frame around the page number and make the frame slightly wider. It could be that the frame is currently just a little bit to narrow to show both digits of page numbers 22, 23, 24, etc. side-by-side.

"sgurney" wrote:

I'm working in Word and understand the concept of sections and page numbers. Unfortunately I don't understand the behaviour of word. In one section of my document (section 7) the page numbers cound up to 21 properly and then the page following page 21 is number 2. As I mentioned, this page number 2 is in section 7. In other words, I have two page 2s in section 7. after the second page 2, the page numbers start counting up again. I have the invisible charaters on so I can see that there are no section breaks additionally, I have clicked the link to previous button on and off to no effect. Any ideas out there? thanks in advance
Steve

Old June 23rd, 2004, 11:24 PM
sgurney
external usenet poster

Default Page Numbers

Thanks for the reply,
unfortunately it didn't do the trick. the size of the Frame seems unrelated. I just deleted some section breaks (4-7) and the page numbers are now contiguous, so i think it is related to the sections althought i'm still not sure how.
Steve

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

Hi, sgurney. In the section 7 footer, try selecting the frame around the page number and make the frame slightly wider. It could be that the frame is currently just a little bit to narrow to show both digits of page numbers 22, 23, 24, etc. side-by-side.

"sgurney" wrote:

Steve

Old June 24th, 2004, 12:24 AM
Suzanne S. Barnhill
external usenet poster

Default Page Numbers

I wonder if someone might have typed in 2 as hard text instead of inserting
a {PAGE} field.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)
Words into Type
Fairhope, Alabama USA
Word MVP FAQ site: http://word.mvps.org
Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"sgurney" wrote in message
Thanks for the reply,
unfortunately it didn't do the trick. the size of the Frame seems

unrelated. I just deleted some section breaks (4-7) and the page numbers are
now contiguous, so i think it is related to the sections althought i'm still
not sure how.
Steve

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

Hi, sgurney. In the section 7 footer, try selecting the frame around

the page number and make the frame slightly wider. It could be that the
frame is currently just a little bit to narrow to show both digits of page
numbers 22, 23, 24, etc. side-by-side.

"sgurney" wrote:

I'm working in Word and understand the concept of sections and page

numbers. Unfortunately I don't understand the behaviour of word. In one
section of my document (section 7) the page numbers cound up to 21 properly
and then the page following page 21 is number 2. As I mentioned, this page
number 2 is in section 7. In other words, I have two page 2s in section 7.
after the second page 2, the page numbers start counting up again. I have
the invisible charaters on so I can see that there are no section breaks
additionally, I have clicked the link to previous button on and off to no
effect. Any ideas out there? thanks in advance
Steve