A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Access » New Users
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

How to show time for day's stock market high/low



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old April 9th, 2010, 02:20 AM posted to microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted
Seano
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default How to show time for day's stock market high/low

I've set up a database of stock market intraday data going back two years,
showing Open/High/Low/Close data for every one minute bar of the day. I'm
trying to find 1) the high and low of each day, and 2) the times they
occurred.

Using: Date By Day: Format$([Stock Data].[Date],'yyyy.mm.dd') I can find the
Max of High and Min of Low to give me the day's high and low, but how do I
find the minute these occurred (there may be more than one, so if only one
could be displayed, the first occurence would be best ).

Many thanks


Ads
  #2  
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:36 AM posted to microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted
Richard
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 1,419
Default How to show time for day's stock market high/low

Seano,

This is probably a dumb question, but I will ask it anyway. Doesn't online
sites like Yahoo Finance all ready have that info? And to go one step further
I have seen "real time" quotes and other tools.

Richard


  #3  
Old April 9th, 2010, 05:56 AM posted to microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted
Seano
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default How to show time for day's stock market high/low

Hi Richard,

Yahoo Finance doesn't provide historical intraday data, but that's really
not the issue. I have the data, now I want to analyse it. I was hoping Access
might be able to extract not just the high and low of the day (easy enough to
find), but the actual time the low and high occurred for every day. All the
info is in my database, but with nearly 700,000 entries, it's not something I
want to extract manually.

"Richard" wrote:

Seano,

This is probably a dumb question, but I will ask it anyway. Doesn't online
sites like Yahoo Finance all ready have that info? And to go one step further
I have seen "real time" quotes and other tools.

Richard


  #4  
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted
John W. Vinson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18,261
Default How to show time for day's stock market high/low

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 18:20:01 -0700, Seano
wrote:

I've set up a database of stock market intraday data going back two years,
showing Open/High/Low/Close data for every one minute bar of the day. I'm
trying to find 1) the high and low of each day, and 2) the times they
occurred.

Using: Date By Day: Format$([Stock Data].[Date],'yyyy.mm.dd') I can find the
Max of High and Min of Low to give me the day's high and low, but how do I
find the minute these occurred (there may be more than one, so if only one
could be displayed, the first occurence would be best ).

Many thanks


The Format function isn't necessary (or even a very good way to do this): the
DateValue() function will extract just the date portion for grouping. To get
the high for the day and its time you can use a subquery. Could you post the
actual fieldnames of your table, and indicate which field contains the price
of interest? Is there in fact a high/low/open/close field for each *minute*?
And does the field (misnamed, it's a reserved word) Date contain the date and
time?

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
  #5  
Old April 9th, 2010, 07:43 AM posted to microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted
Seano
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default How to show time for day's stock market high/low

Thanks John, the fieldnames are date/time/open/high/low/close/volume for each
minute of the day. Date and time originally came as one field but I separated
them (I could join them again if needed). So I guess I'm looking for the Max
of the high field for the day, and the minute it occurred, and the Min of the
low field, and the minute it occurred.

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 18:20:01 -0700, Seano
wrote:

I've set up a database of stock market intraday data going back two years,
showing Open/High/Low/Close data for every one minute bar of the day. I'm
trying to find 1) the high and low of each day, and 2) the times they
occurred.

Using: Date By Day: Format$([Stock Data].[Date],'yyyy.mm.dd') I can find the
Max of High and Min of Low to give me the day's high and low, but how do I
find the minute these occurred (there may be more than one, so if only one
could be displayed, the first occurence would be best ).

Many thanks


The Format function isn't necessary (or even a very good way to do this): the
DateValue() function will extract just the date portion for grouping. To get
the high for the day and its time you can use a subquery. Could you post the
actual fieldnames of your table, and indicate which field contains the price
of interest? Is there in fact a high/low/open/close field for each *minute*?
And does the field (misnamed, it's a reserved word) Date contain the date and
time?

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
.

  #6  
Old April 9th, 2010, 03:52 PM posted to microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted
KARL DEWEY
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,767
Default How to show time for day's stock market high/low

You did not respond to John's request -- Could you post the actual
fieldnames of your table, and indicate which field contains the price of
interest?


--
Build a little, test a little.


"Seano" wrote:

Thanks John, the fieldnames are date/time/open/high/low/close/volume for each
minute of the day. Date and time originally came as one field but I separated
them (I could join them again if needed). So I guess I'm looking for the Max
of the high field for the day, and the minute it occurred, and the Min of the
low field, and the minute it occurred.

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 18:20:01 -0700, Seano
wrote:

I've set up a database of stock market intraday data going back two years,
showing Open/High/Low/Close data for every one minute bar of the day. I'm
trying to find 1) the high and low of each day, and 2) the times they
occurred.

Using: Date By Day: Format$([Stock Data].[Date],'yyyy.mm.dd') I can find the
Max of High and Min of Low to give me the day's high and low, but how do I
find the minute these occurred (there may be more than one, so if only one
could be displayed, the first occurence would be best ).

Many thanks


The Format function isn't necessary (or even a very good way to do this): the
DateValue() function will extract just the date portion for grouping. To get
the high for the day and its time you can use a subquery. Could you post the
actual fieldnames of your table, and indicate which field contains the price
of interest? Is there in fact a high/low/open/close field for each *minute*?
And does the field (misnamed, it's a reserved word) Date contain the date and
time?

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
.

  #7  
Old April 9th, 2010, 04:31 PM posted to microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted
John Spencer
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,815
Default How to show time for day's stock market high/low

To get the date and time and the high you can use a correlated sub-query.
SELECT [Date], [Time], [High]
FROM [SomeTable]
WHERE [High] =
(SELECT Max(High)
FROM [SomeTable] as T
WHERE T.[Date]=[SomeTable].[Date])

You would need s similar query to get the lows
SELECT [Date], [Time], [Low]
FROM [SomeTable]
WHERE [Low] =
(SELECT Min([Low])
FROM [SomeTable] as T
WHERE T.[Date]=[SomeTable].[Date])

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Seano wrote:
Thanks John, the fieldnames are date/time/open/high/low/close/volume for each
minute of the day. Date and time originally came as one field but I separated
them (I could join them again if needed). So I guess I'm looking for the Max
of the high field for the day, and the minute it occurred, and the Min of the
low field, and the minute it occurred.

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 18:20:01 -0700, Seano
wrote:

I've set up a database of stock market intraday data going back two years,
showing Open/High/Low/Close data for every one minute bar of the day. I'm
trying to find 1) the high and low of each day, and 2) the times they
occurred.

Using: Date By Day: Format$([Stock Data].[Date],'yyyy.mm.dd') I can find the
Max of High and Min of Low to give me the day's high and low, but how do I
find the minute these occurred (there may be more than one, so if only one
could be displayed, the first occurence would be best ).

Many thanks

The Format function isn't necessary (or even a very good way to do this): the
DateValue() function will extract just the date portion for grouping. To get
the high for the day and its time you can use a subquery. Could you post the
actual fieldnames of your table, and indicate which field contains the price
of interest? Is there in fact a high/low/open/close field for each *minute*?
And does the field (misnamed, it's a reserved word) Date contain the date and
time?

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
.

  #8  
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:12 AM posted to microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted
Seano
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default How to show time for day's stock market high/low

Forgive my newbie ignorance. I'm not 100% sure what you require, but for this
query the fields I need are [Date],[Time],[High],[Low] which show in the
table:

Date Time Open High Low Close
18/12/2008 3:25:00 PM 3581 3581 3580 3580 18/12/2008 3:26:00
PM 3584 3584 3582 3584
18/12/2008 3:27:00 PM 3584 3587 3584 3584
so every Date (for one day) has 1440 Time intervals of one minute.

I want to find the highest [High] for every day (i.e. 24-hour period) in the
database, and also the [Time] (i.e. one minute period) when that high
occurred.

Ditto for lowest [Low].


"KARL DEWEY" wrote:

You did not respond to John's request -- Could you post the actual
fieldnames of your table, and indicate which field contains the price of
interest?


--
Build a little, test a little.


"Seano" wrote:

Thanks John, the fieldnames are date/time/open/high/low/close/volume for each
minute of the day. Date and time originally came as one field but I separated
them (I could join them again if needed). So I guess I'm looking for the Max
of the high field for the day, and the minute it occurred, and the Min of the
low field, and the minute it occurred.

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 18:20:01 -0700, Seano
wrote:

I've set up a database of stock market intraday data going back two years,
showing Open/High/Low/Close data for every one minute bar of the day. I'm
trying to find 1) the high and low of each day, and 2) the times they
occurred.

Using: Date By Day: Format$([Stock Data].[Date],'yyyy.mm.dd') I can find the
Max of High and Min of Low to give me the day's high and low, but how do I
find the minute these occurred (there may be more than one, so if only one
could be displayed, the first occurence would be best ).

Many thanks


The Format function isn't necessary (or even a very good way to do this): the
DateValue() function will extract just the date portion for grouping. To get
the high for the day and its time you can use a subquery. Could you post the
actual fieldnames of your table, and indicate which field contains the price
of interest? Is there in fact a high/low/open/close field for each *minute*?
And does the field (misnamed, it's a reserved word) Date contain the date and
time?

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
.

  #9  
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:17 AM posted to microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted
Seano
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10
Default How to show time for day's stock market high/low

Many thanks, John. I managed to get this working, and I feel closer to the
answer, but alas it returns the Max(High) for every minute in the database,
not the highest High for the day. I'm after the highest High in every 24-hour
period and the Time (minute) that occurred. Apologies for not explaining it
properly (see my reply to Karl Dewey for further clarification).

"John Spencer" wrote:

To get the date and time and the high you can use a correlated sub-query.
SELECT [Date], [Time], [High]
FROM [SomeTable]
WHERE [High] =
(SELECT Max(High)
FROM [SomeTable] as T
WHERE T.[Date]=[SomeTable].[Date])

You would need s similar query to get the lows
SELECT [Date], [Time], [Low]
FROM [SomeTable]
WHERE [Low] =
(SELECT Min([Low])
FROM [SomeTable] as T
WHERE T.[Date]=[SomeTable].[Date])

John Spencer
Access MVP 2002-2005, 2007-2010
The Hilltop Institute
University of Maryland Baltimore County

Seano wrote:
Thanks John, the fieldnames are date/time/open/high/low/close/volume for each
minute of the day. Date and time originally came as one field but I separated
them (I could join them again if needed). So I guess I'm looking for the Max
of the high field for the day, and the minute it occurred, and the Min of the
low field, and the minute it occurred.

"John W. Vinson" wrote:

On Thu, 8 Apr 2010 18:20:01 -0700, Seano
wrote:

I've set up a database of stock market intraday data going back two years,
showing Open/High/Low/Close data for every one minute bar of the day. I'm
trying to find 1) the high and low of each day, and 2) the times they
occurred.

Using: Date By Day: Format$([Stock Data].[Date],'yyyy.mm.dd') I can find the
Max of High and Min of Low to give me the day's high and low, but how do I
find the minute these occurred (there may be more than one, so if only one
could be displayed, the first occurence would be best ).

Many thanks

The Format function isn't necessary (or even a very good way to do this): the
DateValue() function will extract just the date portion for grouping. To get
the high for the day and its time you can use a subquery. Could you post the
actual fieldnames of your table, and indicate which field contains the price
of interest? Is there in fact a high/low/open/close field for each *minute*?
And does the field (misnamed, it's a reserved word) Date contain the date and
time?

--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
.

.

  #10  
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:40 AM posted to microsoft.public.access.gettingstarted
John W. Vinson
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 18,261
Default How to show time for day's stock market high/low

On Fri, 9 Apr 2010 22:17:01 -0700, Seano
wrote:

Many thanks, John. I managed to get this working, and I feel closer to the
answer, but alas it returns the Max(High) for every minute in the database,
not the highest High for the day. I'm after the highest High in every 24-hour
period and the Time (minute) that occurred. Apologies for not explaining it
properly (see my reply to Karl Dewey for further clarification).


Then you either didn't follow John Spencer's advice, or your table is not as
you described it: his subqueries will in fact retrieve the high and the low
for the day.

Please post the exact SQL of the query that you are using, and perhaps a few
rows of example data.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 01:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2018 OfficeFrustration.
The comments are property of their posters.