A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Outlook » Installation & Setup
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2002 downgrade headaches

Old May 13th, 2004, 04:36 AM
Navin
external usenet poster

Default Outlook 2003 to Outlook 2002 downgrade headaches

One would think that a company of Microsoft's level would do a basic testing of the scenario that I have gone thru.

I upgraded from Office XP to Office 2003. Everything went fine and then after a month I decided to go back to Office XP, so uninstalled Office 2003 by popping the CD in and selecting un-install. My Outlook 2003 .pst file was still in Outlook 2002 format as I had done upgrade. I took a back up of it.

Next I installed Office XP using the CD and then started my problems. Outlook 2002 automatically read the .PST file which was still there in C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook
Apparently Office 2003 uninstall really does not remove itself completely. Anyway I did not care about this part.
Problems started when it first would give an "Operation failed" error on clicking Send and Receive. I fixed that problem by exiting Outlook, renaming the .SRS file to .OLD and re-starting Outlook. Shouldn't this thing be tested when they released Office 2003.

Anyway, next thing is that I could not see any of my addresses when I clicked on the "To" button the New mail window. My Contacts had all the data intact. Again I Googled and also read posts here on how I should Right Click the Contacts --- Go to Properties and then Outlook Address Book tab and hoping to check the "Show this folder as an e-mail Address Book" option but the stupid thing was disabled. Then I read somewhere that I first need to add an address book. So I went to Tools -- Email Accounts and selected View or Change existing directories or address books and found that the Address book was already there. So I said to myself let's delete this and Add a new one and that's when I hit a stumbling block for which I can't find an answer anywhere. I now cannot even add a new address book.
It gives me the error "The account you have added is not fully configured. It might not work properly until re-configured correctly" with OK as the only button on the error dialog. And then the Finish button never shows up on the "Other Address Book Types" dialog. It still shows Next on clicking that I will get the same error. So basically it has screwed things up badly somewhere.

In the end all I did was a simple thing, Uninstall Office 2003 and install Office XP.....is that an out of ordinary scenario and too big of thing to expect from MS ?

I am totally frustrated and lost now. I am now thinking of popping the Office 2003 CD back and just installing Outlook 2003 from it.

Oh and by the way the Rules are also totally hosed up, the old rules still show up, but they don't work, I cannot edit them or delete them !!

Also I am not alone that got this error when I trying to add an address book.
See this link
http://www.pcguide.com/vb/showthread...threadid=29295