A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Access » Using Forms
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Can I create a search engine?

Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:51 PM
Scott
external usenet poster

Default Can I create a search engine?

How do I create a search engine of some kind for my database? (without having to setup a new query everytime)

I have a database which contains a library of topics and related notes associated with books, movies, internet, etc.
What I want to be able to do is search the database TOPICS field through some type of search engine to find all the resources that cover a particular Topic in my database and where they can be found.

For example, if I want to find all the resources I have assoicated with TREES, I want to either be able to type in the word "trees" or maybe even use a drop down list and select trees and a page comes up with all the resouces associated with trees.

Thanks for any help or suggestion.

Scott
Old June 3rd, 2004, 04:56 PM
Jackie L
external usenet poster

Default Can I create a search engine?

You can create an unbound field on a form then query. In the query criteria line of the field (where "tree" would be located) you would need to refer to the unbound field in this way:
Like "*"&Forms![frmInput]![UnboundFieldName]&"*"

This will return any record with Tree in that field.

----- Scott wrote: -----

How do I create a search engine of some kind for my database? (without having to setup a new query everytime)

I have a database which contains a library of topics and related notes associated with books, movies, internet, etc.
What I want to be able to do is search the database TOPICS field through some type of search engine to find all the resources that cover a particular Topic in my database and where they can be found.

For example, if I want to find all the resources I have assoicated with TREES, I want to either be able to type in the word "trees" or maybe even use a drop down list and select trees and a page comes up with all the resouces associated with trees.

Thanks for any help or suggestion