A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Word » Tables
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Pasting Excel column into Word table

Old June 15th, 2004, 12:13 PM
Eija
external usenet poster

Default Pasting Excel column into Word table

I use Word 2002 and Windows XP

My problem is importing data from very large Excel-files into word-table. The Word-table has several columns that must keep their size and formatting.
The source-files (Excel) are very variable: sometimes only few rows, other times maybe hundreds of rows.

The user must be able to copy one column in Excel and paste it into one column in the table of the Word-template. But this doesn't work:

When pasting, if the cursor is in one field of Word-template, the result is only one pasted cell. If the column is highlighted, Word pastes as many cells as there is room for: If the row count of the word table is smaller than in excel, the rest remain un-pasted (sorry, my english is poor...). If the row count is bigger than in excel, word pastes the data so many times, that all the rows are filled.

To have a correct result, user should highlight exactly as many fields as there are in the source-data. And that is not an option...

Is this effort doomed?

I hope someone can figure out what I mean...

Eija
Old June 15th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Cindy M -WordMVP-
external usenet poster

Hi =?Utf-8?B?RWlqYQ==?=,

I use Word 2002 and Windows XP

My problem is importing data from very large Excel-files into word-table. The Word-table

has several columns that must keep their size and formatting.
The source-files (Excel) are very variable: sometimes only few rows, other times maybe

hundreds of rows.

The user must be able to copy one column in Excel and paste it into one column in the

table of the Word-template. But this doesn't work:

When pasting, if the cursor is in one field of Word-template, the result is only one

pasted cell. If the column is highlighted, Word pastes as many cells as there is room for:
If the row count of the word table is smaller than in excel, the rest remain un-pasted
(sorry, my english is poor...). If the row count is bigger than in excel, word pastes the
data so many times, that all the rows are filled.

To have a correct result, user should highlight exactly as many fields as there are in

the source-data. And that is not an option...

Is this effort doomed?

As far as using Word's built-in capabilities, no, I don't think you can do what you
describe. I assume you've tried what the Paste Options button offers?

I think your best chance would be:
- copy the column in Excel
- Go to an empty space in the Word document and paste, so that you've got a Word table
- select that single column and cut
- select a cell or column in your existing Word table and paste

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 8 2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the
newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Old June 16th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Eija
external usenet poster

Just as I thought...

Yes, I have tested the paste button from every angle.

Copying the column to different place in Word at first is a good idea and I'm sure I can use it in other jobs, but here it is no help: This is a template that will be used by bunch of engineers. They will not start doing any tricks with their data only to make it look good.

I must give up and make the template with Excel, and even with that I'll have to do many compromises, because can't make two different headers (tables in both) and a table in the first page footer also.

Thank you very much for your answer. I'll use it in other tasks and teach the trick to our secretaries, too.

Eija

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" kirjoitti:

As far as using Word's built-in capabilities, no, I don't think you can do what you
describe. I assume you've tried what the Paste Options button offers?

I think your best chance would be:
- copy the column in Excel
- Go to an empty space in the Word document and paste, so that you've got a Word table
- select that single column and cut
- select a cell or column in your existing Word table and paste

Cindy Meister

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow question or reply in the

Old June 17th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Cindy M -WordMVP-
external usenet poster

Hi =?Utf-8?B?RWlqYQ==?=,

Copying the column to different place in Word at first is a good idea and I'm sure I

can use it in other jobs, but here it is no help: This is a template that will be used by
bunch of engineers. They will not start doing any tricks with their data only to make it
look good.

Yes, I can imagine engineers wouldn't be too happy... The only other thing I can suggest
is that you'd use VBA (a macro) to transfer the data. If the user could, for example,
select the range in Excel, then click a button, and code would
- check the size of the selected range
- insert the required additional column in Word
- add the needed rows
- then transfer the cell contents

I must give up and make the template with Excel, and even with that I'll have to do

many compromises, because can't make two different headers (tables in both) and a table
in the first page footer also.

Thank you very much for your answer. I'll use it in other tasks and teach the trick to

our secretaries, too.

Cindy Meister