A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Office » Setup, Installing & Configuration
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Problems after msi install - Office xp Pro

Old December 15th, 2004, 04:38 PM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Dec 2004
Unhappy Problems after msi install - Office xp Pro

I have the following problem when trying to get Office XP Pro to install. I go
through the whole process of installing. Everything looks great. Installation checked out without a hitch. Now, I'm ready to use Word. (No problems - yeah!!!)

Now, when opening Word, Access, etc. two screens pop up at the same time eg. screen 1 - Windows installer Preparing to install... and second screen noting the following error message: "This MSI must be launched through setup." When I click the OK button on the MSI screen , the same error screen comes up a second time (Note- the preparing to install screen stays open during this process). I do the same thing a third time and the error screen comes up. After that, the application - eg. Word - opens.Things seems to work OK. But when I open Access, I get lots of errors when trying to use various databases I have created. This has to be due to a faulty installation.

Added Note: I do have Norton System Works 2005 installed and I may have
inadvertantly failed to close the anitvirus program during installation of
Office XP. Maybe this has something to do with above problem? I use Windows XP Home edtion without service pack 2 installed as operating system; and, Office Service Pack 3 was installed.

I really need to get this resolved ASAP as many critical things hang on
proper functioning of both Word and Access.Hope I don't have to reformat my drive.

Any assistance is deeply appreciated.

Frank
Old January 3rd, 2005, 12:20 AM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Jan 2005
Cool

Would sure like to see answer to this as I am having the exact same problem.

Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank
I have the following problem when trying to get Office XP Pro to install. I go
through the whole process of installing. Everything looks great. Installation checked out without a hitch. Now, I'm ready to use Word. (No problems - yeah!!!)

Now, when opening Word, Access, etc. two screens pop up at the same time eg. screen 1 - Windows installer Preparing to install... and second screen noting the following error message: "This MSI must be launched through setup." When I click the OK button on the MSI screen , the same error screen comes up a second time (Note- the preparing to install screen stays open during this process). I do the same thing a third time and the error screen comes up. After that, the application - eg. Word - opens.Things seems to work OK. But when I open Access, I get lots of errors when trying to use various databases I have created. This has to be due to a faulty installation.

Added Note: I do have Norton System Works 2005 installed and I may have
inadvertantly failed to close the anitvirus program during installation of
Office XP. Maybe this has something to do with above problem? I use Windows XP Home edtion without service pack 2 installed as operating system; and, Office Service Pack 3 was installed.

I really need to get this resolved ASAP as many critical things hang on
proper functioning of both Word and Access.Hope I don't have to reformat my drive.

Any assistance is deeply appreciated.

Frank