A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Word » New Users
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Making a client list with expandable pages?

Old February 9th, 2011, 05:01 AM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Feb 2011
Question Making a client list with expandable pages?

Hi,
I am pretty new to word for anything beyond writing a letter, my wife has a list of clients and for each one she has a folder with their basic info and some notes about their communications and whatnot.

These are real files real paper real folders, I told her let's get this all into the computer, I was wondering in word is there a way to make a master list of her clients and somehow make each of the clients have their own page of data/info.

Was thinking when you open the document you see the master list of say 23 clients, then somehow (maybe clicking) it would take you to that clients page of information.

I am not even sure if something like this could be done but figured this would be the place to ask,

Thanks for any help or info on how this might be able to be created.

Bill
Old March 31st, 2011, 06:17 PM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLOSM View Post
Hi,
...Was thinking when you open the document you see the master list of say 23 clients, then somehow (maybe clicking) it would take you to that clients page of information.
Bill
Hi, Bill

Read your message not long ago. Not sure if you still need help with this. If you do, you can try one of these options.
Both methods allow you to manage the clients within the same document:

Option 1 - Use outlines:
Switch to outline view by selecting "View" and "Outline" or clicking the Outline button at the bottom of your page. The Outlining tab becomes visible.
Highlight the name of each client. Then go to the Outlining tab and select "Level 1" for the "Outline Level."
Double-check that a "Body Text" outline level is set for the data/info pertaining to each client.
There should be a plus sign beside each client's name.
To only display your clients' names, select "Level 1" under "Show Level" in the "Outline Tools" group.
Your wife can double-click the plus sign beside any client's name she wants to reveal and modify its contents. She can hide the client's data/info again by double-clicking the plus sign. She can also select any clients she wants to rearrange and click the "Move Up" and "Move Down" buttons in the "Outline Tools" group. She can switch views at any time by clicking "View" and "Print Layout" for example.

Option 2 - Use bookmarks:
Create a page that only includes your clients' names, preferably on the first page.
Go to the page containing the first client's data/info. Highlight the first line of text on the page and select "Insert" and "Bookmark." In the Bookmark dialog box, enter a bookmark name, such as "ClientBobData" and click "Add." (The bookmark should be all one word). Repeat this process to bookmark other pages.
Once you've bookmarked each page, return to the page containing all your clients' names.
Highlight the first client's name, such as "Bob." Select "Insert" and "Hyperlink." In the Insert Hyperlink dialog box, click "Place in This Document" under "Link to." Then select the corresponding bookmark, such as "ClientBobData" and click "OK." (The blue underlined text on your page indicates there's now a hyperlink). Repeat this step for the other clients in your document.
To jump to a client's page, press "Ctrl"+"G" and select "Bookmark" under "Go to what." Select the correct bookmark name under the "Enter bookmark name" drop-down and press "Enter."

By the way, these steps are for Word 2010, but they should be similar in Word 2007.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by allysonstewart : March 31st, 2011 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added Word version.
Old April 1st, 2011, 09:20 AM
Experienced Member

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTLOSM View Post
Hi,
I am pretty new to word for anything beyond writing a letter, my wife has a list of clients and for each one she has a folder with their basic info and some notes about their communications and whatnot.

These are real files real paper real folders, I told her let's get this all into the computer, I was wondering in word is there a way to make a master list of her clients and somehow make each of the clients have their own page of data/info.

Was thinking when you open the document you see the master list of say 23 clients, then somehow (maybe clicking) it would take you to that clients page of information.

I am not even sure if something like this could be done but figured this would be the place to ask,

Thanks for any help or info on how this might be able to be created.

Bill
There is another option where at the top of each client's page of data you use a Heading style for the title (e.g. type in Bob Smith's Data at the top of the page and press CTRL+ALT+1 to change it to Heading 1 style) and on the front page of the document you create a Table of Contents which will pick up the headings you have created throughout the document and allow you to click and jump to these pages.