A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Word » Tables
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

My Ultimate Frustration: Preventing Tables from Breaking Across Pages

Old May 23rd, 2012, 02:43 AM
Experienced Member

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Mar 2008
Exclamation My Ultimate Frustration: Preventing Tables from Breaking Across Pages

There is a lot of references available online on how to overcome this issue. I'm thinking that despite my efforts, I am either failing at understanding the solutions, or the solutions just aren't what I need. I am truly frustrated!

I have a mail merge document, that uses Excel data to create a directory style final document. The merged information is packaged up into a complex table, with each record in Excel occupying it's own table. The page has both a header and footer containing merged data as well. In the mail merge document, the table layout is followed by two carriage returns to provide the spacing between the tables on the destination document.

On average, I can get two tables (ie two records) on one 8.5x11 landscape oriented page. The third table, is always broken across onto the next page. It requires me to manually enter about 5 or 6 carriage returns to bump the table over to the next page as a whole.

For each row ... double checked by each cell ... of the table I have Table PropertiesRow 'Allow row to break across pages' UNchecked. I cannot see where, if any, rows exist in the table that would indicate allowing this option.

If I highlight the entire content, and choose Paragrapht to get to the paragraph property setting, Line & Page Breaks, and CHECK 'Keep lines together' and 'Keep with next' ... I still get the tables breaking across the page on my final document.

Please .... pleeeeease .... someone help me find a solution to this most annoying problem. I appreciate all attempts to render assistance.

Jenn