A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Office » General Discussions
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Office 2000 Re-registration problem after dowloading IE7

Old December 17th, 2009, 11:35 PM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Dec 2009
Angry Office 2000 Re-registration problem after dowloading IE7

Hello,

To use just one site in the entire Internet recently, I had to install Internet Explorer 7.

Since then, I've been plagued by MS insisting I re-register my Office 2000 Pro package, with it limiting how many more uses we can get before it "dies" on us.

However, the options of re-registering on-line, via e-mail and via the telephone are now unsupported, and I cannot get a fax through to the Sydney Australia number (02) 9870 2285, quoted in the print out for mailing or faxing.

How do I either register the package again, or stop MS from taking over my life on my PC? (It is running XP Pro, if that helps).

If I uninstall IE7, will this help?

And no, I will NOT be installing more recent versions of MS software - I'd sooner go with Open Office than upgrade to Vista or any other OS successors, and I loathe the more recent editions of Office since they tinkered with all the menus and icons.

Many thanks,

Heather.
Old December 18th, 2009, 01:42 AM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Dec 2009
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissPeggy View Post
Hello,

To use just one site in the entire Internet recently, I had to install Internet Explorer 7.

Since then, I've been plagued by MS insisting I re-register my Office 2000 Pro package, with it limiting how many more uses we can get before it "dies" on us.

However, the options of re-registering on-line, via e-mail and via the telephone are now unsupported, and I cannot get a fax through to the Sydney Australia number (02) 9870 2285, quoted in the print out for mailing or faxing.

How do I either register the package again, or stop MS from taking over my life on my PC? (It is running XP Pro, if that helps).

And no, I will NOT be installing more recent versions of MS software - I'd sooner go with Open Office than upgrade to Vista or any other OS successors, and I loathe the more recent editions of Office since they tinkered with all the menus and icons.

Many thanks,

Heather.
I finally got to speak to some helpful at Microsoft (Australia); probably the only one there who was prepared to listen and give a sensible, quick answer.

Office 2000 doesn't need, and apparently never had to be, registered on-line.

It turns out that the date on my PC's system had reverted to the year 2000 when IE7 was installed. (Says a lot about MS and IE7, doesn't it?). By simply right clicking on the Sytem Clock icon, adjusting the year to the current one, it will fix the problem. (I'll let everyone know if this is not the end of my troubles....).

Why couldn't the other operators I spoke to tell me this? I presume their Help files are like those the rest of the world gets to see, and are UnHelpFul files. Ho hum. Anyway, at least one person did know the answer and didn't duck-shove me off to another phone number for more non-help.

Fingers crossed, all will be well from now on. Particularly once I've uninstalled IE7!

Microsoft sucks, with the exception of one staff member, bless his socks.

Cheers,

Heather.
Old December 18th, 2009, 08:45 AM posted to microsoft.public.office.misc
DL[_3_]
external usenet poster

Default Office 2000 Re-registration problem after dowloading IE7

Try MS Office au site for a Contact #

"MissPeggy" wrote in message

Hello,

To use just one site in the entire Internet recently, I had to install
Internet Explorer 7.

Since then, I've been plagued by MS insisting I re-register my Office
2000 Pro package, with it limiting how many more uses we can get before
it "dies" on us.

However, the options of re-registering on-line, via e-mail and via the
telephone are now unsupported, and I cannot get a fax through to the
Sydney Australia number (02) 9870 2285, quoted in the print out for
mailing or faxing.

How do I either register the package again, or stop MS from taking over
my life on my PC? (It is running XP Pro, if that helps).

And no, I will NOT be installing more recent versions of MS software -
I'd sooner go with Open Office than upgrade to Vista or any other OS
successors, and I loathe the more recent editions of Office since they
tinkered with all the menus and icons.

Many thanks,

Heather.

--
MissPeggy