A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Word » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Why is clockwise rotation default selected in envelope print feed method options?

Old October 15th, 2016, 11:03 AM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Oct 2016
Default Why is clockwise rotation default selected in envelope print feed method options?

Briefly, my question is: In MS Word what the heck is the purpose of “Clockwise rotation” in Envelope print feed method options and why does Word default to it as the so-called correct “envelope handling method” for your printer?

The more comprehensive, detailed, elaborated version of my question follows: When I have used Word 2003 (I still have not upgraded) to print the delivery and return addresses on an envelope and have gone to ToolsLetters and Mailings Envelopes and Labels, then selected OptionsPrinting Options, I have always been both curious and annoyed about clockwise rotation box being automatically checked as the default choice for “Feed method” when printing envelopes and labels in Word, so I have two possible dumb questions: 1) Why is there even a “Clockwise rotation” option for printer “Feed method” in the first place – what purpose does it serve for anyone? 2) Why does word pre-select “Clockwise rotation” for you as the “correct default handling method” for your printer? If you leave the “Clockwise Rotation” box checked as Word recommends you do as “Word’s default envelope handling method” for your printer, then you have to first learn exactly what “clockwise rotation” means. I found out this means that you have to rotate the image/icon highlighted for the envelope printing “Feed option” 180 degrees clockwise in your head so that you know to rotate the physical envelope 180 degrees clockwise from what the envelope printing option icon shows in order to then put the envelope into the print feed tray in the correct position so that the return address and delivery address print in the correct place and not upside down. I learned this the hard way with the “Clockwise rotation” box checked by mistakenly putting the envelope in the feed tray just as the pre-selected, highlighted “feed method” icon choice showed and finding out that the return address and delivery address printed upside down from what the highlighted “feed method” icon showed. For me, it is just extra hassle and frankly, idiotic to have to go through the extra step of having to rotate the selected Printing options feed method icon 180 degrees clockwise in your head so you know to rotate the envelope 180 degrees clockwise before you put the envelope into the printer feed tray.

Also, if you de-check the “Clockwise rotation” box under the Printing options Feed method as I have decided I prefer to do, then you get the warning message: “You have changed Word’s default envelope handling method for this printer. These changes could be incorrect. Choose Reset to return to Word defaults.” Of course there is nothing incorrect with de-selecting Clockwise rotation and having “changed Word’s default envelope handling for this printer” since all it does is make things easier for you because again, you don’t have to remember to rotate the envelope you put in your printer feed tray 180 degrees clockwise from what the selected Feed method icon shows before putting it into your printer feed tray. Am I the only one who has experienced “Clockwise rotation” to be idiotic, annoying and pointless? Any thoughtful response and insight about why the heck there is a default selected “Clockwise rotation” option in Envelopes and Labels print feed options will be appreciated.