A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Excel » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Pivot Table Field Name

Old July 22nd, 2004, 09:36 PM
plumstone
external usenet poster

Default Pivot Table Field Name

I created a Pivot Table. And I want to do the same report every month. The database fro each motn has the same structure (same number of columns, same headers), but the number of records (the rows are different everyone. I set up a very big range to create the Pivot Table (A1:H1000) although my first month database only has 400 columns. Then in the 2nd month, after I update the database (it has more or less rows than the 1st month), I tried to refresh the data in the Pivot Table. However, it is said:"The PivotTable field name is not valid. To crate a PivotTable, you must use data that is organized as a list with labeled columns. If you are changing the name of a PivotTable field, you must type a new name for the field."
Could you tell me how could I fix this problem? Thanks
Old July 22nd, 2004, 11:41 PM
Debra Dalgleish
external usenet poster

Default Pivot Table Field Name

You can base the pivot table on a dynamic range, which will
automatically change size as your data changes. There are instructions he

http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot01.html

Then, when you refresh the pivottable, the current data range will be
used as the source.

plumstone wrote:
I created a Pivot Table. And I want to do the same report every month. The database fro each motn has the same structure (same number of columns, same headers), but the number of records (the rows are different everyone. I set up a very big range to create the Pivot Table (A1:H1000) although my first month database only has 400 columns. Then in the 2nd month, after I update the database (it has more or less rows than the 1st month), I tried to refresh the data in the Pivot Table. However, it is said:"The PivotTable field name is not valid. To crate a PivotTable, you must use data that is organized as a list with labeled columns. If you are changing the name of a PivotTable field, you must type a new name for the field."
Could you tell me how could I fix this problem? Thanks

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html