A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Outlook » Installation & Setup
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Appearance of Outlook 2007

Old May 18th, 2011, 08:39 AM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: May 2011
Default Appearance of Outlook 2007

Hi all

I am using Outlook 2007 on two computers, one with Windows XP and the other with Windows 7. I have a problem getting Outlook to display the way I would like on the Windows 7 machine.

On both machines, if I select Tools/Organise/Using Views/Messages the Inbox shows the message headings, but there is a panel on the right side of the Inbox in which the selected message is displayed. I can reduce the width of this panel to quite narrow, but I cannot get rid of it altogether - I don't want to be able to see the message when I am looking at a list of message headings in the Inbox.

On the Windows 7 machine, if I select Tools/Organise/Using Views/Messages with Autopreview, the right hand panel showing the message disappears, but in the Inbox I get the message headings with 2 or 3 lines of the message immediately under each heading. I don't want that - just the headings.

On the XP machine, if I select the same setting, ie Tools/Organise/Using Views/Messages with Autopreview the right hand panel showing the message disappears, and in the Inbox I get just the message headings with no preview (even though preview is selected!!!) This is just what I want, even though it is apparently the wrong setting which gives me that. My question is how can I achieve the same on the Windows 7 computer? ie just the message headings, no preview and no panel displaying the message while all the Inbox message headings are visible?

Thanks in advance

Robert
Old May 18th, 2011, 03:57 PM
Experienced Member

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertWA View Post
My question is how can I achieve the same on the Windows 7 computer? ie just the message headings, no preview and no panel displaying the message while all the Inbox message headings are visible?
Robert
Under the View menu is "Reading Pane" If you select the setting Off, this will get rid of the message preview to the right.

The other option you have already found: View/Auto Preview. With Auto Preview on, you will see the first few lines of the message under the subject.

Another area to look at is under Tools/Options/Other/Reading Pane where you can choose to have your emails automatically changed to Read when selected for a certain number of seconds. This also affects the way Outlook displays the messages as often a message marked as Read will no longer display a preview of the message below the subject.
Old May 18th, 2011, 07:19 PM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: May 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarquinious View Post
Under the View menu is "Reading Pane" If you select the setting Off, this will get rid of the message preview to the right.

The other option you have already found: View/Auto Preview. With Auto Preview on, you will see the first few lines of the message under the subject.

Another area to look at is under Tools/Options/Other/Reading Pane where you can choose to have your emails automatically changed to Read when selected for a certain number of seconds. This also affects the way Outlook displays the messages as often a message marked as Read will no longer display a preview of the message below the subject.
Thank you. I'll try that.

Robert