A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Excel » Links and Linking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Linked data from Access query doesn't add new rows

Old August 26th, 2004, 04:26 PM
Phil Mitchell
external usenet poster

Default Linked data from Access query doesn't add new rows

I am linking from an Excel 2K worksheet to a query in Access 2K. As expected, the existing cells update when the query changes. The problem is that I don't get additional cells when the number of rows
returned by the query increases.

I don't know excel very well, and it may be due to the way I linked. I tried using DataImport External Data, but can't use the Import or the Query commands because my query uses an Access function
(MonthName()) which they don't recognize. Instead, I copied the query and used Paste Special, paste as link.

Every month, the query will have a new row -- how can I get that to show up in Excel?

Old August 26th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Bill Manville
external usenet poster

Phil Mitchell wrote:
I don't know excel very well, and it may be due to the way I linked.
I tried using DataImport External Data, but can't use the Import or the Query commands
because my query uses an Access function
(MonthName()) which they don't recognize.
Instead, I copied the query and used Paste Special, paste as link.

Every month, the query will have a new row -- how can I get that to show up in Excel?

What happens if you insert extra rows within the linked area?

Alternatively it might be possible to replace the MonthName() function with an alternative which
will work (e.g. Format([Field],'MMMM') ) and then use Data / Import External Data ... Certainly
that would be my preferred approach.

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England
No email replies please - respond to newsgroup