A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Outlook » Contacts
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

"Type a contact to find" seach box doesn't work properly

Old May 2nd, 2006, 12:14 AM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: May 2006
Default "Type a contact to find" seach box doesn't work properly

I have a user who is using Outlook 2002 SP-2. He has over 1500 contacts in his Contacts folder. I exported his contacts to a .pst file and imported the file to my computer for testing.

Here's the problem: Most of the time when I type in a name in the search box it returns the appropriate results. But sometimes when I type in a name it doesn't find any of the contacts, even though they're listed right there in front of me!

For example, I can search for "Mark" and it brings up the "Choose Contact" window and lists 15 different people with the name "Mark" (which is the desired result I want). However, if I search for "Mike" it brings up the "Check Names" window and lists all the Mikes in the Global Address List. It doesn't find any of the 40+ Mikes in the Contacs folder.

I tried this on two different computers, one running Outlook 2002 and one running Outlook 2003 and I get the same problem.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks.