A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Access » New Users
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Word merge doesn't work -- back to 97?

Old May 9th, 2004, 07:21 PM
Lee
external usenet poster

Default Word merge doesn't work -- back to 97?

Once again, what worked in Access 97 doesn't work in 2003. I am desperate to solve this problem for the one client I have to use Access for.

I have a Table of 2000+ names and addresses. Each month I pull out all records with birthdates for that month - 5/01 through 5/31 for example. Each record is also coded with either a 1-, 2-, or 3-, with varying letters after the dash. After I make changes to all the records for that particular month, I specify criteria to pull out just the 1's and 2's -- Like "1-*" or Like "2-*". When I switch back to database view, this is all done correctly.

However, when I attempt to merge these records into a document created in Word that functions as an envelope, either from Word or from Access, I get the error that the data records are empty or no data records matched my query options.

I have spent hours trying to figure out how to do this merge and am lost. At this point, I am going to do the merge using all three codes -- 1, 2 and 3 -- and then manually delete the merged 3's, just because I have to get this done.

I am sick of trying to figure out Access 2003. I use this program for one tiny client. I don't have the time that it obviously takes to properly learn this program. Can I delete 2003 and go back to 97? I know that my current database wouldn't work, but it would be worth it to go back and make changes to an old copy of the database that I have on another computer than to deal with these problems every month. Will 97 work with XP?

Thanks for any help.

Old May 9th, 2004, 08:24 PM
Albert D. Kallal
external usenet poster

Are you using automation in ms-access to launch the word document..or do you
simply open up word, and then start the word merge wizard?

If you wish...give my sample word merge a try (it comes with ready to go
sample data..and you just have to whack the merge word button to see if it
works on your pc).

It should work for word 2003,and access 2003.

if my sample works for you..then it certainly might be easy to fix yours.

Give my sample a try...you can find it he

http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn.../msaccess.html

--
Albert D. Kallal (MVP)
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

http://www.attcanada.net/~kallal.msn

Old May 9th, 2004, 09:52 PM
John Nurick
external usenet poster

Hi Lee,

Is it possible that the problem you're having is a result of the changes
to the Word mailmerge object model made (IIRC) between Word 2000 and
Word 2002?

On Sun, 9 May 2004 11:21:04 -0700, Lee
wrote:

Once again, what worked in Access 97 doesn't work in 2003. I am desperate to solve this problem for the one client I have to use Access for.

I have a Table of 2000+ names and addresses. Each month I pull out all records with birthdates for that month - 5/01 through 5/31 for example. Each record is also coded with either a 1-, 2-, or 3-, with varying letters after the dash. After I make changes to all the records for that particular month, I specify criteria to pull out just the 1's and 2's -- Like "1-*" or Like "2-*". When I switch back to database view, this is all done correctly.

However, when I attempt to merge these records into a document created in Word that functions as an envelope, either from Word or from Access, I get the error that the data records are empty or no data records matched my query options.

I have spent hours trying to figure out how to do this merge and am lost. At this point, I am going to do the merge using all three codes -- 1, 2 and 3 -- and then manually delete the merged 3's, just because I have to get this done.

I am sick of trying to figure out Access 2003. I use this program for one tiny client. I don't have the time that it obviously takes to properly learn this program. Can I delete 2003 and go back to 97? I know that my current database wouldn't work, but it would be worth it to go back and make changes to an old copy of the database that I have on another computer than to deal with these problems every month. Will 97 work with XP?

Thanks for any help.

--
John Nurick [Microsoft Access MVP]

Please respond in the newgroup and not by email.
Old May 10th, 2004, 09:41 AM
PMK
external usenet poster

Albert.

I use your mailmerge programme and I must congratulate you on a superb piece of coding. You have made my life so much easier and all at the touch of a button.

Excellent.

Perry Kerr
Old May 10th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Lee
external usenet poster

Albert & John,
Thanks so much for your responses, I do appreciate it. But I am admitting defeat. I don't even understand your responses that well! My main focus is word processing; this is way too much for me.

I know NOTHING about Access. I inherited this tiny client from someone, and know enough to perform what I need to do for her, and that is it. The table was set up for me, then added to my computer. I was shown how to run the Query and pull out the monthly data, then merge into Word to create envelopes. I knew, in Access97, how to do JUST what I needed to do, and that was it. And I'm okay with that for now!

Access 2003 has been nothing but trouble for me. Converting the database was a nightmare -- that took days to figure out and several posts here. The query criteria to pull out the monthly dates didn't work, but someone here was nice enough to figure a workaround for that. The query that I print for the client each month doesn't print properly -- can't fix that either and no one had an answer for that problem, so the paperwork for the client looks bad. NOW this issue with the criteria in the Codes column. Every time I try to do something, I spend days trying to figure it out, and I am way too busy to spend this amount of time for a $50-a-month job.

For now, going back to 97 is the best solution for me. Can I delete 2003 from my computer, install 97, then copy a table from my old Win98 computer and open it in 97 in XP?

If it's available, I plan on pursuing a Continuing Education class on Access at the local university this summer. But for now, I need a fast solution to these problems and I am tired of fighting this program.

Again, many thanks for all of your attempts to help me!