A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Access » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Print field description of a table

Old November 19th, 2004, 01:17 AM
Larissa25
external usenet poster

Default Print field description of a table

I need an easy way to print the field descriptions of a table I created.
"Easy" means no SQL involved, since I'm not very fluent with it.

Anybody know why this is so difficult? I thought I would be able to copy and
paste from table design view into a Word document, but copy isn't an option.
Ideally I would be able to print any time I update the description.

I really appreciate the assistance.
Old November 19th, 2004, 01:33 AM
Jeff Conrad
external usenet poster

All the tables or just one table?

If you need just one you could try Tools | Analyze | Documentor.
That will print out the fields and a whole bunch of other information as well.
You could do all the tables as well, just be careful which options you select.

As another option I created an Access Add-In called the "John Viescas Table Documentor" that will
list each table and its field properties in an easy-to-read format. It is even easier to use than
the built-in Access Documentor and creates a slick report right in your database that you can just
open again any time right from the Database Window. You could customize the report even more to your
liking if you desire.

Once installed all you have to do is Tools | Add-Ins | John Viescas Table Documentor. Poof! After a
few seconds a slick report is displayed on the screen. In a nut shell the Add-In creates a new key
table in your database, loops through each table (including linked ones) grabbing the information
needed, writes all this information to the key table, creates the report entirely in code, saves it,
and then displays it on the screen for you. That report can be opened again at any time since it is
saved as a new report object in your database. Easy as pie!

I am awaiting word back from John about the possibility of having him post it on his web site where
anyone can download it. In the meantime I do not believe he would have a problem if I sent you a
copy. If you do wish to have a copy please let me know where you would like it sent to (please mung
the e-mail address so you won't get spammed). There is one version for Access 97 and one for 2000
which works with 2000, 2002, and 2003.

--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie
Bend, Oregon

"Larissa25" wrote in message

Old November 19th, 2004, 01:36 AM
Allen Browne
external usenet poster

Simplest approach is to use the built-in:
Tools | Analyze | Documenter

The Descriptions are printed if you ask for the Properties as well, but it's
a long list!

If you are comfortable coping and pasting some code, see:
http://members.iinet.net.au/~allenbrowne/func-06.html

--
Allen Browne - Microsoft MVP. Perth, Western Australia.
Tips for Access users - http://allenbrowne.com/tips.html
Reply to group, rather than allenbrowne at mvps dot org.

Anybody know why this is so difficult? I thought I would be able to copy
and
paste from table design view into a Word document, but copy isn't an
option.

Old November 19th, 2004, 01:38 AM
fredg
external usenet poster

On Thu, 18 Nov 2004 17:17:04 -0800, Larissa25 wrote:

Did you try the Documenter?
Tools + Analyze + Documenter

Select the correct option.
--
Fred
Please only reply to this newsgroup.
I do not reply to personal email.
Old November 19th, 2004, 10:35 AM
Rosco
external usenet poster

Hi jeff,
I wouldn't mind having a copy of tha t myself. Would you mind?

Thanks
Rosco

"Jeff Conrad" wrote:

As another option I created an Access Add-In called the "John Viescas Table Documentor" that will
list each table and its field properties in an easy-to-read format. It is even easier to use than
the built-in Access Documentor and creates a slick report right in your database that you can just
open again any time right from the Database Window. You could customize the report even more to your
liking if you desire.

Once installed all you have to do is Tools | Add-Ins | John Viescas Table Documentor. Poof! After a
few seconds a slick report is displayed on the screen. In a nut shell the Add-In creates a new key
table in your database, loops through each table (including linked ones) grabbing the information
needed, writes all this information to the key table, creates the report entirely in code, saves it,
and then displays it on the screen for you. That report can be opened again at any time since it is

I am awaiting word back from John about the possibility of having him post it on his web site where
anyone can download it. In the meantime I do not believe he would have a problem if I sent you a
copy. If you do wish to have a copy please let me know where you would like it sent to (please mung
the e-mail address so you won't get spammed). There is one version for Access 97 and one for 2000

--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie
Bend, Oregon

Old November 19th, 2004, 05:04 PM
Jeff Conrad
external usenet poster

Hi Rosco,

No problem, a copy is being sent now.

You did not mention which version you needed so I sent both. Only install the 97 one if you are
using Access 97. If you are using Access 2000, 2002, or 2003 then install the 2000 one. Follow these
steps to install the Add-In:

1. Unzip the file JVTableList.MDA to your Office or Access directory to easily find it when we
install the Add-In.

2. Now open any Access database and go up to "Tools" on the main Access menu bar. From there go down
to the option called "Add-Ins". This sub-menu will list any installed Access add-ins on your system,
as well as an option called "Add-In Manager". Click on the option called "Add-In Manager" and a new
screen will appear.

3. The box will display a list of available add-ins on the left side. Depending upon where you
unzipped the add-in file, you may see the John Viescas Table Documentor already listed in this box.
If the file is listed, click on the option to highlight it and then press the "Install" button to
complete the installation. There should now be a little "x" next to the option meaning it has now
been installed. If you do not see the add-in listed in this box simply click the button called "Add
New..." where you can browse for the location of the file. Once you find the file and click on it in
the browse window, you will be taken back to the Add-In Manager screen. Now you should see our
add-in listed in the box with a "x" by it meaning it has been successfully installed. If not,
highlight the option and then press the "Install" button to complete the installation. Hit the
"Close" button on the Add-In Manager when finished. That's it, now we're ready to use the utility!

4. To launch the add-in, simply open any database you wish to document and go up to Tools | Add-Ins
and click on the new option "John Viescas Table Documentor". Depending upon the number of tables in
your database (and whether they are linked or not), the utility should only take a few seconds to
create the report and display it on the screen. Once on screen you can either print the report or
just view the different pages. The utility creates a new report object in your database called
"rptzvTableFields" and a new table called "zvTableFields". If you wish to view the report again, you
can simply open the report in the Database Window or re-run the add-in utility if you have
added/changed/deleted new fields and/or tables. You can delete these database objects if you do not
wish to have them in your database.

Please post back to the newsgroup when you receive the files and if you have any problems . The
e-mail was being sent from a "dump" e-mail account and will not be checked if a reply is sent. The
only way I will know if you received the files is through the newsgroup.

Hope you find it useful.
--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie
Bend, Oregon

"Rosco" wrote in message
Hi jeff,

Thanks
Rosco

"Jeff Conrad" wrote:

As another option I created an Access Add-In called the "John Viescas Table Documentor" that

will
list each table and its field properties in an easy-to-read format. It is even easier to use

than
the built-in Access Documentor and creates a slick report right in your database that you can

just
open again any time right from the Database Window. You could customize the report even more to

your
liking if you desire.

Once installed all you have to do is Tools | Add-Ins | John Viescas Table Documentor. Poof!

After a
few seconds a slick report is displayed on the screen. In a nut shell the Add-In creates a new

key
table in your database, loops through each table (including linked ones) grabbing the

information
needed, writes all this information to the key table, creates the report entirely in code, saves

it,
and then displays it on the screen for you. That report can be opened again at any time since it

is

I am awaiting word back from John about the possibility of having him post it on his web site

where
copy. If you do wish to have a copy please let me know where you would like it sent to (please

mung
the e-mail address so you won't get spammed). There is one version for Access 97 and one for

--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie
Bend, Oregon

Old November 19th, 2004, 07:37 PM
Rosco
external usenet poster

Thanks Jeff, I got them.
Much appreciated
Rosco

"Jeff Conrad" wrote:

Hi Rosco,

You did not mention which version you needed so I sent both. Only install the 97 one if you are
using Access 97. If you are using Access 2000, 2002, or 2003 then install the 2000 one. Follow these

1. Unzip the file JVTableList.MDA to your Office or Access directory to easily find it when we
install the Add-In.

2. Now open any Access database and go up to "Tools" on the main Access menu bar. From there go down
to the option called "Add-Ins". This sub-menu will list any installed Access add-ins on your system,
as well as an option called "Add-In Manager". Click on the option called "Add-In Manager" and a new
screen will appear.

3. The box will display a list of available add-ins on the left side. Depending upon where you
unzipped the add-in file, you may see the John Viescas Table Documentor already listed in this box.
If the file is listed, click on the option to highlight it and then press the "Install" button to
complete the installation. There should now be a little "x" next to the option meaning it has now
been installed. If you do not see the add-in listed in this box simply click the button called "Add
New..." where you can browse for the location of the file. Once you find the file and click on it in
the browse window, you will be taken back to the Add-In Manager screen. Now you should see our
add-in listed in the box with a "x" by it meaning it has been successfully installed. If not,
highlight the option and then press the "Install" button to complete the installation. Hit the
"Close" button on the Add-In Manager when finished. That's it, now we're ready to use the utility!

4. To launch the add-in, simply open any database you wish to document and go up to Tools | Add-Ins
and click on the new option "John Viescas Table Documentor". Depending upon the number of tables in
your database (and whether they are linked or not), the utility should only take a few seconds to
create the report and display it on the screen. Once on screen you can either print the report or
just view the different pages. The utility creates a new report object in your database called
"rptzvTableFields" and a new table called "zvTableFields". If you wish to view the report again, you
can simply open the report in the Database Window or re-run the add-in utility if you have
added/changed/deleted new fields and/or tables. You can delete these database objects if you do not

Please post back to the newsgroup when you receive the files and if you have any problems . The
e-mail was being sent from a "dump" e-mail account and will not be checked if a reply is sent. The

Hope you find it useful.
--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie
Bend, Oregon

"Rosco" wrote in message
Hi jeff,

Thanks
Rosco

"Jeff Conrad" wrote:

As another option I created an Access Add-In called the "John Viescas Table Documentor" that

will
list each table and its field properties in an easy-to-read format. It is even easier to use

than
the built-in Access Documentor and creates a slick report right in your database that you can

just
open again any time right from the Database Window. You could customize the report even more to

your
liking if you desire.

Once installed all you have to do is Tools | Add-Ins | John Viescas Table Documentor. Poof!

After a
few seconds a slick report is displayed on the screen. In a nut shell the Add-In creates a new

key
table in your database, loops through each table (including linked ones) grabbing the

information
needed, writes all this information to the key table, creates the report entirely in code, saves

it,
and then displays it on the screen for you. That report can be opened again at any time since it

is

I am awaiting word back from John about the possibility of having him post it on his web site

where
copy. If you do wish to have a copy please let me know where you would like it sent to (please

mung
the e-mail address so you won't get spammed). There is one version for Access 97 and one for

--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie
Bend, Oregon

Old November 19th, 2004, 07:55 PM
Jeff Conrad
external usenet poster

Excellent, good to hear.

--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie
Bend, Oregon

"Rosco" wrote in message
Thanks Jeff, I got them.
Much appreciated
Rosco

"Jeff Conrad" wrote:

Hi Rosco,

using Access 97. If you are using Access 2000, 2002, or 2003 then install the 2000 one. Follow

these

install the Add-In.

2. Now open any Access database and go up to "Tools" on the main Access menu bar. From there go

down
to the option called "Add-Ins". This sub-menu will list any installed Access add-ins on your

system,
as well as an option called "Add-In Manager". Click on the option called "Add-In Manager" and a

new
screen will appear.

unzipped the add-in file, you may see the John Viescas Table Documentor already listed in this

box.
If the file is listed, click on the option to highlight it and then press the "Install" button

to
complete the installation. There should now be a little "x" next to the option meaning it has

now
been installed. If you do not see the add-in listed in this box simply click the button called

"Add
New..." where you can browse for the location of the file. Once you find the file and click on

it in
"Close" button on the Add-In Manager when finished. That's it, now we're ready to use the

utility!

4. To launch the add-in, simply open any database you wish to document and go up to Tools |

Add-Ins
and click on the new option "John Viescas Table Documentor". Depending upon the number of tables

in
your database (and whether they are linked or not), the utility should only take a few seconds

to
create the report and display it on the screen. Once on screen you can either print the report

or
"rptzvTableFields" and a new table called "zvTableFields". If you wish to view the report again,

you
added/changed/deleted new fields and/or tables. You can delete these database objects if you do

not

e-mail was being sent from a "dump" e-mail account and will not be checked if a reply is sent.

The

Hope you find it useful.
--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie
Bend, Oregon

"Rosco" wrote in message
Hi jeff,

Thanks
Rosco

"Jeff Conrad" wrote:

will

than
the built-in Access Documentor and creates a slick report right in your database that you

can
just
open again any time right from the Database Window. You could customize the report even more

to
your
liking if you desire.

After a
few seconds a slick report is displayed on the screen. In a nut shell the Add-In creates a

new
key

information
needed, writes all this information to the key table, creates the report entirely in code,

saves
it,
and then displays it on the screen for you. That report can be opened again at any time

since it
is

I am awaiting word back from John about the possibility of having him post it on his web

site
where
anyone can download it. In the meantime I do not believe he would have a problem if I sent

you a
copy. If you do wish to have a copy please let me know where you would like it sent to

(please
mung

--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie
Bend, Oregon

Old November 25th, 2004, 03:35 PM
Yoong Hor Meng
external usenet poster

Hi Jeff:

Can you send to me as well?

Regards
Hor Meng

Jeff Conrad wrote:

liking if you desire.

--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie
Bend, Oregon

Old November 25th, 2004, 05:51 PM
Jeff Conrad
external usenet poster

Sure Yoong, I'd be happy to send a copy.

Do you need the 97 version or the 2000 version which works for 2000, 2002, and 2003?
Where would you like the file sent? Please mung your e-mail address so you do not get spammed.

--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie
Bend, Oregon

"Yoong Hor Meng" wrote in message ...
Hi Jeff:

Can you send to me as well?

Regards
Hor Meng

Jeff Conrad wrote:

will

than

just

your
liking if you desire.

After a

key

information

it,

is

where

mung

--
Jeff Conrad
Access Junkie
Bend, Oregon