A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Excel » Links and Linking
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

"Pastelink" cells not updating

Old February 6th, 2005, 04:24 AM
Don Holmes
external usenet poster

Default "Pastelink" cells not updating

I'm using Excel 2000 and have a workbook with several worksheets. I have a worksheet that summarizes data from the others and to do so I have many cells in it that are simply links to other cells on other sheets. This evening I added a few more sheets with various data items and now many of the "linked" cells simply do not update when I make changes to the cell it's linked too. Very strange. It's as if there is an "update cell" function that simply isn't happening. The auto calculate option is turned on and I've done manual calculations as well - no good.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Don

--

Old February 6th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Bill Manville
external usenet poster

Early builds of Excel 2000 had some problems losing track of the
formulas that needed to be calculated. I suggest you use OfficeUpdate
to get up to the latest version.

Then try Ctrl+Alt+F9 which does a complete calculation pass.

If there are still problems try, on each sheet,
Edit / Replace / = (with) =

Bill Manville
MVP - Microsoft Excel, Oxford, England
No email replies please - respond to newsgroup

Old February 6th, 2005, 10:27 PM
Don Holmes
external usenet poster

Thanks. I'm pretty good about making sure I have the latest updates but I'll certainly check again. Does the problem not exist in subsequent versions of Excel? If not, I may just upgrade. Alternatively, I'll try your suggestion. If I read it correct you're suggestion is to simply do a sheet-for-sheet replace-all "=" with "=" (i.e., touching every cell which has a formula but not changing anything)? Since I have 30-40 sheets that'll be fun...

THx again.

--

"Bill Manville" wrote in message ...

Bill Manville

Old February 7th, 2005, 10:22 PM
Don Holmes
external usenet poster

Hello Bill -

Well I checked and indeed I was current with regard to Excel updates... For context purposes I'll explain that I have many very simple "data" sheets, there are about 50 worksheets in this workbook, about half of which are currently hidden.

This morning I shut down Excel (and all three of the other workbooks I had opened) and rebooted the machine. I then went into the offending workbook and copied a couple sheet's worth of data and pasted it in-place as "values only" since I no longer needed the formulas anyway (and I had read about a 65K autocalc limit of formulas/links). Best I can tell (without going and verifying each and every cell's calculation now) it appears that the workbook auto calculation is now working... But, what caused it is unclear.

I don't know if it had to do with shutting down the other multiple workbooks (and potentially a single thread issue in Excel), copying some of the sheets over themselves as "values only", or even the reboot. Of course now I'm very skeptical about my trust in the workbook any longer as I don't know what caused the problems (or what fixed it frankly). Had I not accidentally noticed some figures not updating I could have missed this for some time...

With regard to your suggestion below do you know of a way to access all 50 sheets (both hidden and not) without having to manually unhide and go to each to run the replace function? Argh...

Thanks, Don

PS: By the way, I did a simple calculation and I'd be surprised if there is over 10,000 calculations, much less the advertised limit of 65,536 before Excel tries to recalc every cell in the workbook... It doesn't seem at all likely that it is the "65k calc's issue" shown in the knowledge base...

--

"Bill Manville" wrote in message ...

Bill Manville