A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Word » Page Layout
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Using comments in graphics

Old March 10th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Experienced Member

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Mar 2005
Default Using comments in graphics

Hi

I work in education and one of the features in Word are are comments to annotate students work and create interactive documents.

I am working with some documents which contain comments, one of the documents contain a photograph of a hairdressing salon and there are various hints in the picture regarding Health and Safety.

Each instance of the word hint has a comment attached, the picture is sent behind the text to enable the word hint to be in the right place on the photo.

My question is, in Word 97 and 2000 comments were displayed differently, not sure how they worked over graphics (its ages since I used these versions). But now when using Word 2002 (XP) or 2003 the comments appear on the right of the screen, as the document contains a picture it needs to be in Print layout or the graphic will not be displayed.

When you move the mouse over the word hint, in 2002 the comment displays the word Hint commented, it does not tell you what the comment is, as this is displayed on the right.

In 2003 when you move the mouse over the word hint it says hint commented and displays the text of the comment and also shows the comment on the right.

My question is has anyone found a way of using comments in 2002 or 2003 which just displays the comments on the graphics. Also I cannot get rid of the word commented in 2003 or the date and time, I know how to change the user information.

Hopefully there will be someone out there that has managed to solve this problem, if not I feel we will have lost the option to include comments with graphics as they work fine with text.

Shirl
Old March 11th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Experienced Member

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Mar 2005

I have now solved this problem via another forum, answer below.

If you click on the drop down menu Tools Options Track changes then uncheck the"Use baloons in print and web layout".

Comments should then behave the way you want them to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shirl
Hi

I work in education and one of the features in Word are are comments to annotate students work and create interactive documents.

I am working with some documents which contain comments, one of the documents contain a photograph of a hairdressing salon and there are various hints in the picture regarding Health and Safety.

Each instance of the word hint has a comment attached, the picture is sent behind the text to enable the word hint to be in the right place on the photo.

My question is, in Word 97 and 2000 comments were displayed differently, not sure how they worked over graphics (its ages since I used these versions). But now when using Word 2002 (XP) or 2003 the comments appear on the right of the screen, as the document contains a picture it needs to be in Print layout or the graphic will not be displayed.

When you move the mouse over the word hint, in 2002 the comment displays the word Hint commented, it does not tell you what the comment is, as this is displayed on the right.

In 2003 when you move the mouse over the word hint it says hint commented and displays the text of the comment and also shows the comment on the right.

My question is has anyone found a way of using comments in 2002 or 2003 which just displays the comments on the graphics. Also I cannot get rid of the word commented in 2003 or the date and time, I know how to change the user information.

Hopefully there will be someone out there that has managed to solve this problem, if not I feel we will have lost the option to include comments with graphics as they work fine with text.

Shirl