A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Access » New Users
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Search Forms... I know... I'm not the only one!

Old December 2nd, 2005, 11:11 AM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Nov 2005
Question Search Forms... I know... I'm not the only one!

Ok...

There are lots of threads relating to this... but i cant seem to find one that points me accurately enough in the right direction... hence my need for assistance!

I need to create a search form that looks up data over about 8 or 9 fields in anoter table and then brings back all relevant records. I need the user to be able to enter data either into either one or all of these fields and then for all of the relevant records to be displayed in another form called 'Property' that the search form, 'Search Form' is based upon.

The search form is practically a copy of the main 'Property' form but with all unbound combos... I managed to work out from other threads that this was what I needed to do.

What I need now is someone nice and friendly to help me write a bit of code.

Hope i've made this clear enough.

My Search Form is called 'Search Form' and my Main form is called 'Property' . The 'Property' form is linked to a table called 'House Details'

The Fields on the search form are 'Reference', 'Total €', 'Number of Beds', 'Location', 'Condition', 'Land', 'Street of Hamlet' and 'Availability'

SOMEONE HELP!!

All responses greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thanking you in advance!
Old December 2nd, 2005, 02:40 PM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: May 2005

Try putting this in the criteria for each field but on seperate lines (Or):
Like "*" & [Forms]![Search Form]![txtSearchString] & "*"
You will need only one txtSearchString field inthe form.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ollygregory
Ok...

There are lots of threads relating to this... but i cant seem to find one that points me accurately enough in the right direction... hence my need for assistance!

I need to create a search form that looks up data over about 8 or 9 fields in anoter table and then brings back all relevant records. I need the user to be able to enter data either into either one or all of these fields and then for all of the relevant records to be displayed in another form called 'Property' that the search form, 'Search Form' is based upon.

The search form is practically a copy of the main 'Property' form but with all unbound combos... I managed to work out from other threads that this was what I needed to do.

What I need now is someone nice and friendly to help me write a bit of code.

Hope i've made this clear enough.

My Search Form is called 'Search Form' and my Main form is called 'Property' . The 'Property' form is linked to a table called 'House Details'

The Fields on the search form are 'Reference', 'Total €', 'Number of Beds', 'Location', 'Condition', 'Land', 'Street of Hamlet' and 'Availability'

SOMEONE HELP!!

All responses greatly, greatly appreciated!

Thanking you in advance!
Old December 2nd, 2005, 04:08 PM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Nov 2005

Excuse my ignorance... but I assume you mean entering...

Quote:
Like "*" & [Forms]![Search Form]![txtSearchString] & "*"
into a query?

Well if thats right, then I tried that, and it seemed to bring back the values I would expect... but how do i get them displayed in the 'Property' form, as if they've just been filtered..?

Thank you for your assistance so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller
Try putting this in the criteria for each field but on seperate lines (Or):
Like "*" & [Forms]![Search Form]![txtSearchString] & "*"Like "*" & [Forms]![Search Form]![txtSearchString] & "*"

You will need only one txtSearchString field inthe form.