A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Access » Running & Setting Up Queries
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

Imported Queries & Field Names - Attn S.Clark MVP

Old June 10th, 2004, 12:45 AM
Bruce
external usenet poster

Default Imported Queries & Field Names - Attn S.Clark MVP

Noticed from an earlier thread comments on functionality of renaming objects in A2002-2003 and differences between A97 (4/29/2004). I have a similair problem. We import a series of queries from A2002 into A2003 which initially create 2 new tables and the subsequent queries run off these 2 tables. When I import the queries to A2003 (with option import relationships checked) all the queries do not import the joins and therefore I end up with Expr1, Expr2 etc which then negates the subsequent queries. One of the tables created relies on an inner join and so the field names in this table are all in the Expr1, Expr2 format. If the tables are imported first and then the queries are imorted all is fine as the exisiting tables are deleted when the make table query is run. Any thoughts on what may cause these joins to not be imported correctly? I have a lot of queries and fields within them so a manual rename isn't really possible. Note: It all runs fine in A2002.
Old June 12th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Gary Walter
external usenet poster

"Bruce" wrote
Noticed from an earlier thread comments on functionality of renaming objects in

A2002-2003 and differences between A97 (4/29/2004). I have a similair problem. We
import a series of queries from A2002 into A2003 which initially create 2 new tables
and the subsequent queries run off these 2 tables. When I import the queries to A2003
(with option import relationships checked) all the queries do not import the joins
and therefore I end up with Expr1, Expr2 etc which then negates the subsequent
queries. One of the tables created relies on an inner join and so the field names in
this table are all in the Expr1, Expr2 format.
If the tables are imported first and then the queries are imported all is fine as the
exisiting tables are deleted when the make table query is run.
Any thoughts on what may cause these joins to not be imported correctly? I have a lot
of queries and fields within them so a manual rename isn't really possible. Note: It
all runs fine in A2002.

Hi Bruce,

My experience with getting "Exprx" in queries
has always been when a table/field referred to
in the query no longer exists or was renamed.

I don't think it has anything to do with joins.

I could be wrong though.

Gary Walter

Old June 12th, 2004, 11:07 PM
Bruce
external usenet poster

"Gary Walter" wrote:

"Bruce" wrote
Noticed from an earlier thread comments on functionality of renaming objects in

A2002-2003 and differences between A97 (4/29/2004). I have a similair problem. We
import a series of queries from A2002 into A2003 which initially create 2 new tables
and the subsequent queries run off these 2 tables. When I import the queries to A2003
(with option import relationships checked) all the queries do not import the joins
and therefore I end up with Expr1, Expr2 etc which then negates the subsequent
queries. One of the tables created relies on an inner join and so the field names in
this table are all in the Expr1, Expr2 format.
If the tables are imported first and then the queries are imported all is fine as the
exisiting tables are deleted when the make table query is run.
Any thoughts on what may cause these joins to not be imported correctly? I have a lot
of queries and fields within them so a manual rename isn't really possible. Note: It
all runs fine in A2002.

Hi Bruce,

My experience with getting "Exprx" in queries
has always been when a table/field referred to
in the query no longer exists or was renamed.

I don't think it has anything to do with joins.

I could be wrong though.

Gary Walter

Gary

Thanks for the response. Yes I totally agree with you as to the reason for Exprx appearing. However in this case we are importing pre-existing queries to a database (where the tables do not exist). The queries are called sequentially from a macro with the make table queries occuring before the select queries so that the tables exist. In A2002 this works fine as the 20 odd queries (select and make table) are imported along with their joins (even though the tables don't exist until the make table queries are run). However in A2003 these joins are not imported and the Exprx defaults appear as expected. I wondered if there is not a validation process in A2003 for importing queries that does not occur in A2002. If I connect to the database on a machine running A2002 everything imports and runs fine.

Old June 14th, 2004, 12:14 PM
Gary Walter
external usenet poster

"Bruce" wrote
Thanks for the response. Yes I totally agree with you as to the reason for Exprx

appearing. However in this case we are importing pre-existing queries to a database
(where the tables do not exist). The queries are called sequentially from a macro
with the make table queries occuring before the select queries so that the tables
exist. In A2002 this works fine as the 20 odd queries (select and make table) are
imported along with their joins (even though the tables don't exist until the make
table queries are run). However in A2003 these joins are not imported and the Exprx
defaults appear as expected. I wondered if there is not a validation process in A2003
for importing queries that does not occur in A2002. If I connect to the database on a
machine running A2002 everything imports and runs fine.

Hi Bruce,

I only work in the 2000/2002 world, so
cannot truly test.

Did you look in Options for something new?

If this were happening in 2000/2002,
I might "suspect" NameAutoCorrect had
not been turned off in Options. I was
hoping this setting would go away in
2003. 8-)

Good luck,

Gary Walter