A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Access » New Users
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

simple question?

Old May 7th, 2004, 07:56 AM
mark
external usenet poster

Default simple question?

On a form I want the choice input to one field (category) to automatically give an output in another field (location). That is, if someone inputs "cooking" in (category) I want to automatically show "kitchen" in (location). I have a number of categories all of which i want to link to different locations. Am new to using access and would appreciate any help, in simple terms if possible.
regards

Old May 7th, 2004, 09:16 AM
mark
external usenet poster

Default simple question revised

Sorry, i just realised i hadnt fully explained my problem.
I am new to access and have modified a template database to keep a track of scientific papers. I have these papers in different categories, physics, chemistry etc. for each category there are papers i have on hard copy, others i have in electronic format and some that i have entered in the database but dont actually possess. I have a pull down box on my database where i can choose the category for a new entry, and I have 2 tick boxes one for hard copy and one for electronic format. Another location field is to say where my hard copies are stored. What i want the database to do is when i choose for example physics as the category for a new entry, I want the location field to automatically display the location, say "File 1" BUT only if i also tick the hardcopy box. If i dont have it on hard copy I will leave this box empty and tick the electronic format box instead, in which case the location field should also remain empty.
Any suggestions.? Please bear in mind I know little about writing code and find the access help somewhat complicated.