A Microsoft Office (Excel, Word) forum. OfficeFrustration

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » OfficeFrustration forum » Microsoft Word » General Discussion
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read  

[Word 2007] How to hyperlink directly another word file chapter/paragraph/bookmark?

Old May 5th, 2011, 11:44 PM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: May 2011
Default [Word 2007] How to hyperlink directly another word file chapter/paragraph/bookmark?

I have to hyperlink another docx file, in a specific chapter/paragraph/bookmark, because is a huge document.
Can I do that?

Actually I'm just able to link the whole file
Old May 6th, 2011, 09:11 AM
Experienced Member

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Mar 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFX View Post
I have to hyperlink another docx file, in a specific chapter/paragraph/bookmark, because is a huge document.
Can I do that?

Actually I'm just able to link the whole file
This is quite simple to do, though I can only give you the instructions for Word 2007 as that is what I'm running, you might be able to translate these over to whatever version of Word you are running.
  1. At the location within your document where you want the hyperlink, select the Insert menu bar, then Hyperlink
  2. In the Text to Display field, type in the text you would prefer to see rather than the long URL
  3. Existing File or Web Page is selected for you by default
  4. Browse through the directories for your document you wish to link to
  5. Once you have selected the file, click the Bookmark button and select the bookmark within the document you wish to jump to when clicking the hyperlink (you will need to have set up the Bookmarks in the document you are linking to in advance)
  6. Click OK
You should see a blue, underlined link to your selected document appear.

Note: You will need to press CTRL when clicking this URL as Word is trying to protect you from accidentally clicking the URL as you edit your document.
Old July 7th, 2011, 08:33 AM
Banned

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarquinious View Post
This is quite simple to do, though I can only give you the instructions for Word 2007 as that is what I'm running, you might be able to translate these over to whatever version of Word you are running.
  1. At the location within your document where you want the hyperlink, select the Insert menu bar, then Hyperlink
  2. In the Text to Display field, type in the text you would prefer to see rather than the long URL
  3. Existing File or Web Page is selected for you by default
  4. Browse through the directories for your document you wish to link to
  5. Once you have selected the file, click the Bookmark button and select the bookmark within the document you wish to jump to when clicking the hyperlink (you will need to have set up the Bookmarks in the document you are linking to in advance)
  6. Click OK
You should see a blue, underlined link to your selected document appear.

Note: You will need to press CTRL when clicking this URL as Word is trying to protect you from accidentally clicking the URL as you edit your document.
Yes you can create a hyperlink on a word document from the other word file, you have to use the tool bar or right click for that, Just write the name of file which you want to hyperlink on that document, then click on the hyperlink button on the toolbar at the top of document, now you can define the location for that file which you want to assign for hyperlink.