View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2004, 06:36 PM
anna-maria
external usenet poster

Default Macro help please: Excel data to word doc

Hello,

I've read through all of the other posts regarding this matter and it's still not working. Here's my situation:

I have created an excel file in which sheet 1, named "customer info", is where information is entered, and automatically transferred to appropriate cells throughout the rest of the workbook (ex. ='customer info'!a1). One worksheet is in the form of a letter; however, the user of this file is slightly excel-illiterate and he's finding this method to be a pain when the letter exceeds a single page (closing is autoformatted at the bottom of page 1). Having this person insert rows or otherwise is not an option (lazy, i know) and was trying to create a macro in which the necessary data (addressee info, info, etc.) can be transferred to a word document in a letter form. I was able to find a macro in which clicking a button on the excel worksheet automatically opens a blank (saved as "WordReportLetter") in Word. This seems to work fine.
From the blank Word doc, I have tried to do a mail merge (I was going to create a separate macro in Word for this) using the Excel data (i inserted a new "sheet1" at the beginning of my workbook, as suggested, and entered labels in Row 1 and then formulas to receive data from "customer info" sheet in Row 2, I've also named these cells, as suggested). The mail merge works fine.
However, when I close everything down and try to run the Excel macro again, it opens up a duplicate of my Excel workbook, instead of the Word doc. It seems that this macro only works if my Word doc is left blank, without mail merge fields.

PLEASE HELP!

Even better, if someone can help me with a single macro to run from a button on the "Report Letter" worksheet (outside the page margins so it doesn't show) to open up a Word doc which holds the same format, that would be great. All of this is basically just so this guy can write a two page letter in Word with all of the Addressee, reference info, open/close paragraphs already entered.

Thanks so much.