View Single Post
Old May 24th, 2011, 10:17 AM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: May 2011

you can ignore #1, I got it to work with your suggestion. Still trying to get your function to work; I keep getting a !NAME error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jglasermd View Post
Hi:

thanks for your help! I do need some things changed, though.

1. the x-axis still doesnt look like I want it to. I'll see if I can describe it better:

the test in question uses images taken at various time intervals (in minutes): 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, 30, 45, 60, 75, 90, 105, 120. As you can see, the first several intervals are in increments of 5, while the later values are in increments of 15 -- this means that for the first several data points, I want intervals of 5 and for the latter points, I want intervals of 15. In other words, once it hits 30 minutes, I want the next data point to be at 45 and have a clean line connecting them. I dont want there to be any points at 35 or 40 minutes (because they don't exist) and I want the slope between the line segments between the longer intervals to be accurate. I have been trying to post a graphics snapshot of what I am getting so I can show you but it keeps failing.

These tests are graphed with the above times on the x-axis and activity (in imaging count rates) on the y-axis. I have been trying to fix the x-axis so that the spacing of the data points and the slopes between them are accurate even using this irregular interval; until now all the data points look like they are 5 minutes apart and this is not true. If I try to use empty cells to fill dummy points, the curve keeps dipping back to the x-axis assuming the value is zero - continuing from the above example, at 30 minutes, there is a data point. At 35, since there is no value (because we don't measure anything at that point) the curve dips down to a 0 y coordinate, stays there until 40 minutes on the x axis, then at 45 goes back up.

Do you have any suggestions as how to do this?

2. I need the instructions to paste the function into a module. I am using Excel 2007. However, can you please change it? I actually dont need the midpoint between the max and min values, but I need 1/2 the max. For example, if my max value was 10,000 and my min was 1000, midway between those two points is 5,500. However, I need the 1/2 max or 5,000.

I really appreciate the effort...I didn't realize this was so complicated. Is there a good resource to learn more of this on my own?