View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2008, 03:15 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Bob Buckland ?:-\)
external usenet poster

Default Equation line numbers

Hi Elbert,

To change/add keyboard shortcuts in Word 2007 to a macro you can use
Office Files Button=Word Options=Customize=Keyboard Shortcuts
(Alt, F, I, C, AltT) and choose the macros category, although you'll need to choose something other than a Shift+F1 for a Word
shortcut. I don't know if perhaps MathType has its own facility for that as well.

You can also assign keyboard shortcuts there to the gallery entry you made for the 2cell table from the 'AutoText' keyboard
customization gallery. Before going to the keyboard shortcut area be sure to open the equations (or other) Building Block gallery
once to have Word populate all of the dialogs. It doesn't do so on startup, so as not to delay the startup process.

If you want your 2 cell table QuickPart to instead appear in the 'canned' Equations locate your saved item in
Insert=Quickparts=Building Blocks Organizer
cnoose 'Edit Properties' and switch the 'gallery' used from 'Quick Parts' to 'Equations'.

The macro recorder is also available to be used from the Word status bar in Word 2007. Right click the status bar and tick mark
that choice.
I was able to record a macro that did, I think, pretty much what your description said, although to save some time, once you have
stored a reusable table as a Building block (i.e. right sized, margins set, borders off, caption field inserted) you could record
the macro to fetch that building block into the document then call the equation editor of choice (Insert=Object) or you could store
an Equation Object in the building block so that when you insert the table you should be able to edit the equation object already
prepped there.

==============
"Elbert" wrote in message ...
Hi Bob,

Thanks for the help.

If you have created custom toolbars (rather than customizing Word's built in toolbars) in a prior version if you place that

template in Word 2007's Startup folder (or attach the template (Alt, T, I) in Word 2007, your toolbars should appear in an 'Add-In'
tab...

Mostly I had customized the built in toolbars, but this procedure (which I
would never have figured out for myself) got me one custom toolbar that I had
created.

Your macros should likewise be available (View Macros=View Macros) and some may need to be tweaked for differences in Word

On the View ribbon I clicked on the View Macros button, but I did not see my
macros in the list. However, in the organizer I selected normal11.dot (my
normal template for Word 2003) and I was able to move some macros to
normal.dotm, including the one that aligns and captions MathType equations the way I want them! Can you tell me how to assign
keyboard shortcuts to
those macros? Shift-F1 used to invoke the equation macro, but now it reveals formatting.

BTW, I couldn't figure out how to record the equation macro with Word 2007. With 2003, the macro was assigned to shift-F1. Shift-F1
would insert a two cell table, move the left edge of the table in 1/2", insert a caption with Equation # in the right cell, right
justify the caption, move to the left
cell, turn off all borders, do insert/object/MathType equation, then move the
cursor to the line after the table. I'd hit shift-F1 and almost immediately
I'd see the MathType window. I'd type my equation, and when I exited from
MathType, I'd have my equation aligned where I wanted it and captioned, with
the cursor on the next line so I could continue typing.

With 2007, I finally figured out (again my intuition failed me) that the
record macro feature is located on the view ribbon. So I tried to use it to record the same macro--the only way I could see to
assign a keyboard shortcut to it, but I got stuck when I tried to move the caption into the right cell, and again when I tried to
move the left edge of the table over by 1/2". Unless I'm missing something, the record macro feature is a lot less useful in 2007
than it was in 2003.

Your suggestion to insert an aligned and captioned equation as a quick part works pretty well. Since I need to double click the
empty equation object, and I can't see it when it's empty, I made an equation with the letter x in it. Now to insert an equation I
have to click Insert, then quick object, then equation. Then I have to double click on the equation, delete the x, type the
equation, exit from MathType, and move the cursor below the table. Not bad, but not quite as slick as my old shift-F1.

Thanks again for the help,

Elbert
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

*Courtesy is not expensive and can pay big dividends*