View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2011, 08:39 AM

First recorded activity by OfficeFrustration: May 2011
Default Appearance of Outlook 2007

Hi all

I am using Outlook 2007 on two computers, one with Windows XP and the other with Windows 7. I have a problem getting Outlook to display the way I would like on the Windows 7 machine.

On both machines, if I select Tools/Organise/Using Views/Messages the Inbox shows the message headings, but there is a panel on the right side of the Inbox in which the selected message is displayed. I can reduce the width of this panel to quite narrow, but I cannot get rid of it altogether - I don't want to be able to see the message when I am looking at a list of message headings in the Inbox.

On the Windows 7 machine, if I select Tools/Organise/Using Views/Messages with Autopreview, the right hand panel showing the message disappears, but in the Inbox I get the message headings with 2 or 3 lines of the message immediately under each heading. I don't want that - just the headings.

On the XP machine, if I select the same setting, ie Tools/Organise/Using Views/Messages with Autopreview the right hand panel showing the message disappears, and in the Inbox I get just the message headings with no preview (even though preview is selected!!!) This is just what I want, even though it is apparently the wrong setting which gives me that. My question is how can I achieve the same on the Windows 7 computer? ie just the message headings, no preview and no panel displaying the message while all the Inbox message headings are visible?

Thanks in advance

Robert